I have promised you 17 recipes from the Egyptian cuisine and in the first article we spoke about the Ful Medames recipe. In this one we will give you the second recipe Falafel or as Egyptians call “taamyya”.
Falafel is eaten with Ful medames, you can say in every home in Egypt these two are inseparable. They are simply tasty together.
As we know Ful medames and Falafel have in their ingredients fava bean, which is rich of protein. It is totally 100% vegetarian meal you are going to love it!
So here are the ingredients:
-½ kg of fava bean but not a whole grain, the grain should be in two halves without the external crust.
-Medium sized onion or bunch of green onions if any available.
-4 cloves of garlic
– bunch of leeks and bunch of coriander
– salt and pepper the amount that suits your taste
– small tsp of cumin
– two tsp of grinded dry coriander.
For cooking it in oil:
– 1 egg
– Hot pepper powder the amount that suits you.
– Dry coriander
– ¼ tsp of Bicarbonate of soda or sodium bicarbonate as people call.
How it is prepared:
First you must soak the fava bean in the water for 12 hours and change the water 2 times then wash it well.
The other ingredients should be cut and put in the kitchen machine.
Add the spices previously mentioned with the ingredients then mince all together to form a soft dough.
If you want to store it in the freezer put it in portion in plastic bags and use in need.
If you want to cook it follow these steps:
– Bring an egg and mix it with hot pepper powder and sodium bicarbonate, then form the Falafel as small rounded discs rapped by the Mix (the egg, hot pepper and sodium bicarbonate) then sprinkle dry coriander and sesame on it both sides and put in oil.
– Wait until it becomes crispy and take it out from the oil into the plate. And Bon appetite