Many people take aspirin orally to reduce inflammation, pain and fever. Also, Doctors may recommend it to people who suffer from many problems such as heart problems.
Aspirin has many benefits; However, the prolonged use and aspirin overdose can have a bad effect on body health.
When you take aspirin tablets, they should not be crushed or chewed. Sometimes, aspirin upsets the stomach if you take it without eating. Most important, avoid lying down for at least 10 minutes after taking aspirin.
Since children, who are under the age of 12, are much more likely to be affected by an overdose, they should not take aspirin without a doctor’s consent.
Symptoms Of An Aspirin Overdose
There are many symptoms indicate the aspirin overdose, including:
Vomiting and nausea
Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) or even temporary deafness
Coma and death in case of delayed treatment of severe overdose
When To Get Medical Care
If anyone noticed any of Aspirin side effects, he should call the doctor to decrease the dosage or stop using it. However, People who are suffering from severe symptoms they must seek emergency medical care.
Furthermore, you can get advice on what to do if a person has an overdose by calling the National Poison Control Center. It is open 24 hours a day and seven days a week. They can also tell you how to prevent an overdose. This service is confidential and free.
There are a variety of treatments according to the severity of the overdose.
• In the emergency, Doctors will check the vital signs and do Lab tests.
• Activated charcoal. It will help soak up the aspirin within the stomach.
• Laxatives: it helps remove the charcoal and aspirin from the body.
• Intravenous Sodium bicarbonate or potassium bicarbonate. They help cleanse digested aspirin from the blood.
• Hemodialysis if there is no response to previous treatments. It involves using a dialysis machine to remove aspirin from the bloodstream.
• A breathing machine, In rare cases.
Preventing An Aspirin Overdose
1- First, you must consult with your doctor before taking aspirin.
2- Make sure to follow the recommended dose given by your doctor.
3- It is important to note whether you take other medication that contains aspirin, such as Pamprin, Excedrin and Pepto-Bismol, or not.