Computation is defined as an account or calculation. According to the Area of Informatics, computing is understood as the automated calculation of data with the help of a machine (computers).
The computer serves man as a valuable tool to realize and simplify many of his activities. It is an electronic device capable of interpreting and executing the commands programmed to perform.
Overview of Computer’s function and computation
In general, the functions of:
• Entry operations when receiving information.
• Arithmetic operations, logic, and storage.
• At present, computers have more practical applications, because it serves not only to compute and calculate, but to perform multiple processes on the data provided, such as sorting or ordering, selecting, correcting and automating, among others. For these reasons in Europe it’s the most common name is the computer.
• Output operations by providing results from past operations.
Classification of computers according to their application
• The computer for its operation receives the information through machines connected to it or by means of a user. This information is given the name of data, which can be analog, digital and hybrid type.
• Analog data is provided by machines connected to the computer, are sources of information from which measurements of physical events such as temperature, volume, speed and time, among others, and are derived.
• The digital data are those provided by the user through a keyboard or other devices and consist of electrical impulses that combined together form a code that is interpreted by the computer.
Parts of a Computer
Central Unit of Processes (UCP)
It is the most important part of the computer, in it are made all the processes of the information.
The CPU is structured by an integrated circuit called microprocessor, which varies in the different brands of computers.
Input Devices (DE)
Input devices are those through which data is sent to the central processing unit, so its function is eminently emitting.
Some of the most popular input devices are the keyboard, the magnetic disk handler, the magnetic tape player, the mouse, among others.
Output Devices (DS)
The output devices are those that receive information from the computer, its function is eminently receptive and therefore are unable to send information.
Among the most popular output devices are the printer, the plotter, the magnetic tape or magnetic tape recorder and the screen or monitor.
They are the devices by which data is stored. In the memories there is a large amount of information is deposited and available. Also, instructions that must be executed by the different systems of the computer exist in the memories.
In the diagram of the computer, it is shown through the direction of the arrows that the memories can emit or receive the information.
Read Also: Why study the career of computer science?