I guess we all feel strange about the title, how can a kiss end baby’s life? Is this simple act of love could harm? The answer to these question is yes! a baby recently died because of a relative’s kiss who was infected with Herpes virus. The Baby Girl who was 18 days old died due to meningitis.
What is meningitis?
Meningitis is sever and acute inflammation in the protective membranes that covers the brain and spinal cord. Its symptoms are fever, headaches, neck stiffness, consciousness, vomiting, and the inability to bear light or noise.
In infants beside the previous, poor feeding, drowsiness and irritability. it is caused by infection with viruses, bacteria, fungal, parasitic and other microorganisms and somehow cause by certain drugs.
If not treated quickly it could lead to epilepsy, deafness, hydrocephalus, or cognitive deficits.
Is it treatable? Yes. By Antibiotics and antivirals drugs in the first treatment of meningitis. Prevention can be provided in the long term through vaccination.
In the poor baby’s case she got infected through viral infection specifically the herpes virus which transmitted to her by a kiss.
What is Herpes virus?
Herpes or as known as HSV is an infection appear in the different parts of body but most commonly in the genitals or mouths.
There are two types of Herpes: HSV-1 or oral Herpes and can be transmitted through eating from the same utensils, sharing lip balm or kissing. HSV-2 which generally responsible for genital herpes which transfers sexually.
The parents of the baby girl was tested but results were negative, but the doctors explained that some relative infected with the herpes virus touched the baby’s hand and she put it into her mouth.
How to take precautions?
You should take precautions when it comes to your children and be more careful for their sake. Prevent any contact till they pass two months because they are the most vulnerable months in the any infant’s life.
Don’t panic, be wise so families and friends are not upset. Guide them to wash hands first, Kiss the baby’s clothes, if any has cold sores it is better to for him to avoid contact with the baby.
Parent should be careful with large gatherings or crowded places or even closed spaces, because this may transmits germs.
Our children needs our protection especially in the first months of their lives. So PLEASE KEEP THEM SAFE!