Oxygen’s Journey Inside Your Body

1 min


0
545 shares
Oxygen's Journey Inside Your Body
Oxygen's Journey Inside Your Body
Advertisements

“No Oxygen, No life” that is true. Our lives depend basically on it. So, it is amazing to know what it does inside your body .  Oxygen constitutes half of the mass of our planet.

Oxygen’s Journey inside your body

1-The first step

Oxygen reaches our lungs via inspiration. First, you inhale the air through your nose then it passes via larynx, trachea, bronchi, bronchioles and finally reaches alveoli in your lungs. After reaching the lungs, it gets dissolved into the blood, then it starts its journey inside the body.

2- The second step

once it reaches lung alveoli inside the body, it undergoes changes so that it could dissolve into a solution within blood plasma, which present within the capillaries of the alveoli.

In the air, this gas circulates as gas molecules. When it dissolves into a solution of blood, 98% of it join with the red blood corpuscles traveling in the blood vessels. And the remaining 2% continues to be used in the solution.

Read Also: Everything You Need To Know About Meditation

3- The third step

After dissolving into blood, it travels throughout the length and breadth of our bodies through circulating in blood vessels.

Each cell inside your body needs oxygen to survive. They need it for burning of food in order to release energy, which our bodies use for running their functions.

Advertisements

Scientists say that around 2000 gallons of blood travel every day through 60,000 miles of blood vessels linking every cell and organ of the body.

Read Also: A Nano-chip Can Heal Wounds With A Single Touch

4- The fourth step

It enters each cell in the body. This process happens through capillaries that go into the walls of alveoli of lungs and its capillaries that carry blood into our bodies.

Red blood corpuscles Transport the dissolved oxygen to different parts of the body, which are specific for transportation of oxygen.

Red blood corpuscles also contain hemoglobin, which contains four molecules of “heme”, heme comprises of an iron-containing pigment that can bind oxygen. Each molecule of heme can bind to 4 oxygen atoms. However, the binding is not permanent.

Read Also: You And Bacteria are Two-sided Coin

5- The fifth step

Now it is ready for delivery to various cells throughout the body.

Hemoglobin releases oxygen as red blood corpuscles travels through capillaries in tissues where there is a low content or partial pressure of oxygen. The partial pressure of it represents the level of dissolved oxygen in plasma.

When it is released then leaves capillary. After reaching the tissue it enters the cells then moves into mitochondria to produce energy essential for cell survival.

Advertisements

Like it? Share with your friends!

0
545 shares

What's Your Reaction?

hate hate
912
hate
confused confused
2736
confused
fail fail
1824
fail
fun fun
1520
fun
geeky geeky
1216
geeky
love love
304
love
lol lol
608
lol
omg omg
2736
omg
win win
1824
win
Choose A Format
Personality quiz
Series of questions that intends to reveal something about the personality
Trivia quiz
Series of questions with right and wrong answers that intends to check knowledge
Poll
Voting to make decisions or determine opinions
Story
Formatted Text with Embeds and Visuals
List
The Classic Internet Listicles
Open List
Submit your own item and vote up for the best submission
Ranked List
Upvote or downvote to decide the best list item
Meme
Upload your own images to make custom memes
Video
Youtube, Vimeo or Vine Embeds
Audio
Soundcloud or Mixcloud Embeds
Image
Photo or GIF
Gif
GIF format